Are you ready to donate?
To ensure the safety and reliability of the blood supply as well as the comfort and safety of the generous donors who give, Nebraska Community Blood Bank has established guidelines governing eligibility for blood donation, incorporating regulations set by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). While some restrictions may temporarily defer you from making a blood donation, we encourage you to find out more.
To verify eligibility or for detailed information about safety restrictions governing blood donations, please contact Nebraska Community Blood Bank at 1-877-486-9414 prior to making an appointment. Let us help you determine your eligibility—whether you have questions about recent travel, medications you are taking, or a current medical condition.
Please note (valid as of June 21, 2021):
To protect our staff and donors amid the novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, Nebraska Community Blood Bank is asking donors to self-screen before coming in to donate. Please do not present to donate if you:
have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 14 days, such as fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing
have had a positive COVID-19 diagnostic test (nasal swab test) in the last 14 days
are currently on self-quarantine restrictions
Unvaccinated donors as well as all visitors and staff are required to wear a face mask or face covering. Donors who have received the coronavirus vaccine are not required to wear a face mask or face covering.
If you are unsure whether to donate, please contact us at 1-844-213-5219. If you have donated recently and you develop symptoms of COVID-19 or you test positive for COVID-19, please contact us at 1-888-235-3301. More information about blood donation and COVID-19 can be found here.
Donating blood is safe and convenient when you are:
- In good health
- 17 years or older—16 with written parental consent (PDF)
- At least 110 pounds (female donors age 16-18 have additional height and weight requirements)
- Free of antibiotics for 24 hours, unless taken for preventative reasons
- Symptom-free for at least 72 hours following a cold or flu
- Medical-related restrictions may include: uncontrolled hypertension; recent history of cancer, leukemia, or lymphoma; as well as risk of exposure to hepatitis, HIV, or AIDS; etc.
- International travel may temporarily or permanently defer you from donating if you have:
- Traveled to areas endemic for malaria
- Lived in a malaria-endemic area
- Spent 5 years or more in France and/or Ireland from 1980–2001
- Spent 3 months or more in the United Kingdom from 1980–1996
- There is a 3-month deferral period for men who have had sex with other men, starting from the date of last sexual contact
- Do not donate blood if you have AIDS, have ever had a positive HIV test, or are at risk for HIV/AIDS
- There is no longer a deferral from blood donation after getting a tattoo or body piercing from a licensed establishment within a regulated state
Please note: Infectious disease testing is performed for the safety of the blood supply. Please do not donate blood as a means of screening for any infection or condition.
Blood donation downloads
- Blood Donor Education Materials**
- Medication Deferral List**
- Height and Weight Requirements**
- 16-Year-Old Parental Consent Form
Updated FDA guidelines have reduced some deferral periods and may allow some previously deferred donors to now be eligible. Learn more.
** Time sensitive material. In order to ensure the most up-to-date information is distributed, you will receive and be asked to read this material in person, at the time of your blood donation. The information provided here covers general guidelines established by Nebraska Community Blood Bank and the Food and Drug Administration. Conditions and restrictions governing blood safety and blood donation may change at any time. Please contact Nebraska Community Blood Bank at 1-877-486-9414 to verify eligibility prior to making an appointment.
Now you're ready to help save lives!
Schedule your donation now or view tips for a successful donation