Are you ready to donate?
To ensure the safety and reliability of the blood supply as well as the comfort and safety of the generous donors who give, Nebraska Community Blood Bank has established guidelines governing eligibility for blood donation, incorporating regulations set by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). While some restrictions may temporarily defer you from making a blood donation, we encourage you to find out more. Let us help you determine your eligibility—whether you have questions about recent travel, medications you are taking, or a current medical condition.
To verify eligibility or for detailed information about safety restrictions governing blood donations, please contact Nebraska Community Blood Bank at 1-877-486-9414 prior to making an appointment.
Donating blood is safe and convenient when you are:
- In good health
- 17 years or older—16 with written parental consent (PDF)
- Weigh at least 118 pounds*
- Free of antibiotics for 72 hours, unless taken for preventative reasons
- No colds or flu 72 hours prior to donating
- Bring ID
*There are specific height and weight restrictions for 16-18 year-old female donors. Call 1-877-486-9414 for details.
- Medical-related restrictions may include: uncontrolled hypertension; recent history of cancer, leukemia, or lymphoma; as well as risk of exposure to hepatitis, HIV, or AIDS; etc.
- There is a one-week (7 day) deferral period from the date a donor receives a tattoo or body art at a licensed establishment.
- International travel may temporarily or permanently defer you from donating if you have:
- Traveled to areas endemic for malaria
- Lived in a malaria-endemic area
- Spent five years or more in Europe from 1980 to the present
- Spent 3 months or more in the United Kingdom from 1980-1996
- Spent 6 months or more associated with a military base in Belgium, Germany, or the Netherlands from 1980-1990
- Spent 6 months or more associated with a military base in Italy, Greece, Portugal, Spain, or Turkey from 1980-1996
- Received a blood transfusion in the U.K. or France since 1980
- There is a 12-month deferral period for men who have had sex with other men from the date of last sexual contact.
- Do not donate blood if you have AIDS, have ever had a positive HIV test, or are at risk for HIV/AIDS. Additional information about donor restrictions can be found here.
- Schedule a Donation Appointment
- 16 Year Old Consent Form
- Height and Weight Requirements*
- Sample of the Donor Questionnaire
- Successful Donation Tips